Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Man Without a Country


Witty, sarcastic, and funny.  I love this book and his observations about the world.  Kurt Vonnegut is great with words.  Practically everything written made me stop and think, either because it makes you laugh or you admire his intelligence.  



Some examples include:
“ I am one of America’s Great Lakes people, her freshwater people, not an oceanic but a continental people.  Whenever I swim in an ocean, I feel as though I am swimming in chicken soup.”

“As a kid I was the youngest member of my family, and the youngest child in any family is always a jokemaker, because a joke is the only way he can enter into an adult conversation.”

“Here is a lesson in creative writing.  First rule: Do not use semicolons.  They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing.  All they do is show you’ve been to college.”

Of course he has a lot to say about politics to, but nothing that can so easily be summed up in a sentence or two.

1 comment: